From the Inside, Out
The popularity of outdoor lighting is ever on the rise, as more quality products are brought to the market that emulate the experience of indoor living, and as indoor living spaces become ever more cramped. Outdoor living enriches the soul and proximity to nature increases one’s sense of calm and serenity. The circumstances introduced through the Covid-19 pandemic highlight the need for greater access to available public and private outdoor space.
One way of creating a smooth transition from indoor to outdoor living is to approach light illumination of these outdoor spaces in the same manner you would approach any interior environment, with consideration given to a layered approach of ambient, accent, and task lighting. Private outdoor space can range from terraces, balconies, gardens, yards, decks, porches and patios. Each will have its own unique properties, features and dimensions that designer lighting can accentuate.
How to Design an Outdoor Paradise with Lighting
When summer goals include spending evenings lounging in the yard, the incorporation of outdoor lighting will enhance the beauty of the environment. As with indoor spaces, lighting can set the mood. It also has the ability to increase feelings of safety and security. The following recommendations will assist in creating your personal outdoor sanctuary.
- Check for a waterproof rating – When it comes time to select outdoor lighting fixtures like outdoor table lights, it is of utmost importance to look at a fixture’s IP Rating to ensure that its mechanical casings and electrical enclosures will perform against exposure to dust, dirt, and moisture. An IP Rating of IP65 and higher is suitable for outdoor use. For more information on IP Ratings check out the blog post:
- Consider lighting for security and wayfinding – Lighting functions as excellent security feature for your property. It is an effective deterrent of suspicious behaviour. More illumination is not necessarily more effective however; emphasis should be on placement. One approach, for instance, is to illuminate darker pockets of space. In terms of wayfinding, task lighting in the form of bollards can be used to illuminate pathways and steps to ensure safe passage from one site to another. Tech Lighting’s Revel 42in Bollard Outdoor fixture uses a soft, ambient glow to illuminate landscaping and is task-applicable for wayfinding on paths. Outdoor floor lights are also a great way to illuminate your garden or terrace.
- Highlighting the best features – As with interior spaces, emphasis can be placed on an outdoor environment’s best features, creating beautiful focal points. Whether it’s the exterior of your home or the surrounding property, architectural features or a particular tree or flowerbed, seating nook or water feature, accent lighting can be used to draw the viewer’s gaze. The Torcia Double Head Outdoor Floor lamp by Matteo Ugolini for Karman provides two adjustable spotlights that can be conveniently positioned to highlight multiple features in your outdoor environment.
- Laying down the plan – The process of laying down the plan starts with creating a rough sketch of your outdoor environment. Pencil in the placement of fixtures where additional light is desired for ambience, and safety, tasks such as wayfinding and accent feature highlighting purposes. Tag each one for each purpose. Ensure that you consider the environment from every possible viewing angle. Outdoor lighting can impact the atmosphere of adjacent interior spaces. Think quality over quantity of lighting.
- Selecting the fixtures – It is important to coordinate the lighting with the surrounding visual elements when choosing their style. If the outdoor furniture is contemporary or minimalist in design, a contemporary or minimalist fixture would be appropriate. If the outdoor elements incorporate the use of old barn wood, a more traditional fixture would work, nautical themes also have coordinating fixtures to compliment them. Jozeph Forakis Havana Outdoor Suspension lamp for Foscarini is an elegant contemporary light fixture that provides diffused ambient light to its surroundings. It pairs nicely with contemporary, modern or minimalist furniture.
When you are ready to purchase your outdoor lighting fixtures, LightForm’s knowledgeable staff will be ready to assist! Looking to illuminate your outdoor space in a hurry? Shop our collection of quick ship outdoor lighting.
Curious to learn more about outdoor lighting? Here are some of our more popular blog posts:
Staff Picks: Our Favourite Outdoor Lights